National horse associations purely devoted to the Icelandic horse whose goals and purposes conform to those of FEIF can become members. Only legal entities can be accepted as members. Only one association from each country (except Iceland) can become a member of FEIF. Iceland is represented in FEIF by two associations, Landssamband Hestamannafélaga and Bændasamtök Íslands. The contact address is the business address of the member association.
Application for membership should be presented to the president of FEIF in writing, with the following documents in English:
- Statutes of the National association applying for membership of FEIF (any later changes must be approved by the FEIF board).
- Regulations to maintain the purity of the breed
- Number of members
- Publication of the names of the members of the board
If the above documents are found to be in order, the FEIF board will propose to accept the new member association at the Delegates’ Assembly. A majority of 2/3rds of all delegates present entitled to vote is necessary for the acceptance of a new member.
The member associations are responsible for:
- Accepting and following official FEIF rules.
- Answering without delay any questions or requests from FEIF.
- Submitting to FEIF a copy of their association's statutes, whenever a change to those statutes has been made.
- Giving notification to FEIF of bans and sanctions relating to a person. Any such decisions made by FEIF or its member associations are to be accepted and adhered to by the FEIF member associations.
- Accepting breeding documents (pedigrees) of all other member associations provided they correspond to the definitions of the FEIF concerning the purity of breed.
- Naming national board members for the national departments of Sport, Breeding, Youth and Education.
- Sending their membership magazines and similar publications automatically and regularly to the business address of the FEIF member associations as well as to the members of the board of FEIF.
There are two types of membership:
- Full membership
- Associate membership. This is for national associations that apply for membership of FEIF after September 2004, and that have fewer than 50 members. This allows participation at meetings but no vote, and no participation at events which require a national team. Associate member countries will not be included in the number of FEIF member countries when calculating the quorum necessary to hold a valid Delegates’ Assembly.